Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Pretty Anthropologie Homeware Finds


Yesterday, I stopped into Anthropologie on Regent Street after work and came home with these beautiful items, which I really wanted to share with you. 

Since we moved in to our newly purchased house, John seems to have fully embraced the DIY attitude by purchasing a new drill, compound mitre saw (don't ask), and by making announcements at dinner like, "It's time. I need a proper toolbox. For all my ... tools." After an exhausting process of formally "checking out" of our old flat in Islington this weekend, we had the crazy idea of renting a ZipCar and taking it straight to IKEA. On a Saturday night.

Like I said, crazy.

Except, it turned out to be pretty empty and we managed to be super productive and focused, buying only things we knew that we needed and arriving with measurements beforehand so there wouldn't be any doubts of whether or not something would fit. (Sidenote: you know you've reached a low point when you lust after a laser tape measurer. Trust me, one too many times of a tape measurer snapping back and hitting you in the thumb will do that to a girl).

We came away with a shoe rack/cupboard that also serves as a sort of console table for mail, keys, etc. in the entry-way to our house. It took a few hacks to get it right (the wireless internet hub and phone line is housed in the same area, so we had to cut the back of the cupboard to fit around the skirting board and hub), but when it was finished, it looked pretty damn good.

Because the cupboard is white, we both really disliked the stark, standard black knobs that it came with, which looked cheap and out of place. So, taking advantage of the Anthropologie sale, I bought these mismatched, colorful ceramic knobs instead, for a bargain-ous price of £2.95 each!


I really, really like them. In fact, I was so proud of this customization, that I excitedly ran past the cupboard a few times to admire our (mostly John's) handiwork. It's incredible: the whole "feel" of the house has been transformed by a lick of paint (goodbye dismal magnolia, hello clean, fresh white and grey!), and even something as minor as the shoe cupboard has changed the way I feel when I walk in the door. It feels more and more like "mine" each day.

Before I left Anthropologie, I couldn't help picking up this butter dish as well, which I'd been wanting for a while now. At £14, it wasn't exorbitant, but nevertheless a treat. One of my pet peeves is scraping cold butter onto a slice of toast ... anyone else feel my pain? Scrape, scrape, scrape.

The beautiful cloth dishtowel that I've displayed alongside the products above was hand-stitched by a family friend of ours and given to us as a wedding gift - such a lovely sentiment, and something with a purpose!

Have you ever changed a piece of furniture or homeware because you didn't like its original design? How far would you go to customize something to make it your own? I'd love to know!
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Does the shoe thing have slots that pull out at an angle, if so we had the same one in our old place and I loved it so much and those knobs will make it so cute! I also hate cold butter but Fredrik with his Swedish upbringing thinks that you cannot leave the butter out no matter how much I tell him otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bailie! Aren't they handy? The landlady at our last flat had one, and we really liked it. We ended up choosing a different one though (I'm not sure what yours looks like - ours has a space at the top for mail, etc. before the drawers start) as IKEA quite a few options!

      Delete
  2. I love changing knobs on things, I know that sounds weird, but it honestly makes such a difference. I've changed loads in our house, drawers, closet doors, side tables. Such a big difference for a small price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see some of yours, Dannielle! Please share photos on Twitter/Instagram :) I love seeing other peoples' home hacks for inspiration! It *does* make a huge difference for a small price. I think the same about hooks too!

      Delete
  3. I'm loving reading all about your new house! Isn't Anthropologie just the best? Love that you've been able to customize the drawers to fit you - can't wait to hear more about it all on Friday!

    Lauren xx
    The Lifestyle Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely! Glad it isn't too boring. Yes, I love anthro and was so happy when they FINALLY opened here in the UK. have you been to West Elm, my other favorite US homeware/furniture import? xx

      Delete
  4. Those knobs are beaut Jaime! I agree with buying basic (cheapish) stuff and making it look a million dollars! The way forward ;) Glad you're settling in so well, and blooming love Ikea! Lots of love, Andrea xxx

    Andrea's Passions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Andrea! Looking forward to Friday ... xxx

      Delete
  5. Those door knobs are beautiful! Looks like you're fully embracing the "new owners" vibe. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlotte - I'm glad you think so too! I would love to get the "big" work out of the way (carpeting, sanding, etc.) so I can focus on the fun things like soft furnishings! I need to be more patient ...

      Delete
  6. I love hacking Ikea bits and pieces that I've bought. I've got the white Malm dresser ready to go when I move next week with a few funky knobs I've bought, but not as pretty as those ones you bought. Can't wait to see what you guys have done next with the new house!

    ReplyDelete

© angloyankophile

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig