Thursday, April 9, 2015

Sri Lanka: Discovering Paradise at The River House, Balapitiya


Let's get something straight: I'm not a "nature" kind of gal. Never was, never will be.

The sight of a spider at home still makes me call out, "Daaaaaaddddd!", I've never been camping (not even "glamping"), and I once wore a Tommy Hilfiger trench and Steve Madden rain boots (which were obviously for fashion purposes only, which only became apparent when halfway down a hill) for a hike in the Peak District. That went well. Not.

So, I was kind of dreading our stay at The River House in Balapitiya. Set in acres of lush Sri Lankan jungle, I got a little worried about things like, oh, I don't know, lizards, snakes, monkeys, crocodiles, strange-unidentified-moving-objects, monster spiders, and, you know, jungle-y things.

Which was all really silly, because when it came time to leave? I cried. I actually wept. On this balcony:


This was our view every morning when we woke up, though the birds were up way earlier than we were. And although the most exotic bird I've seen since I've been back in London has been a red-breasted robin (that was the singular most exciting thing that happened to me this week), it was at The River House where I saw a kingfisher flash its brilliant colors beside me before setting off for shade; where we watched, poolside, as langur monkeys (and baby langurs) leaped from tree-to-tree; where we saw hundreds of flying foxes (fruit bats) soar over the treetops - their Batman-like silhouette unmistakeable against the still-blue sky; and where we saw the fat, slow-moving shape of a water monitor snake navigate its way along the brush bordering the Madu River.

It was kind of where I fell in love with, well, nature.

(Okay, it was also where I was bitten 7 times by one mosquito on both legs within 2 minutes of standing still, and where John looked at me and said, in a not-so-steady voice: "Don't. Move." and proceeded to brush off - yes - a gigantic spider off my shoulder.)


We took dips in the private plunge pool in our suite, when the heat became unbearable and the water in the resort pool felt like a boiling kettle, rather than a warm bath (not that I'm complaining!). I picked up the bell on the table you see there, just to inspect it and to hear its tinkling sound, only to hear a knock at the door seconds later and a friendly face say, "Madam? You called?" when I opened the door. Deeply embarrassed, I vowed to never touch the bell again (even though that's what it's there for) - the thought of summoning someone at whim horrified me!


My goodness, this pool. Just add monkeys. 

I became so comfortable at The River House, that I snored satisfactorily through the night, even as lizards and chipmunks ran amok on the roof, making strange, scampering noises, and John (who's usually the stoic one) lay awake, seeing things in the shadows.

Early one morning, we set off on a boat tour (just the two of us!) of the river for which the hotel is named.


We sped past an abandoned temple, floating on a tiny island in the middle of the river. "Oh!" I said, pointing to the temple. "Can people swim to that?" I asked our guide, who immediately looked terrified. "No, madam, no swim," he said making a sweeping gesture with his hands. "Crocodiles in the water!"

Gulp. Really hoped we wouldn't go overboard, then.


Turns out we didn't have to swim our way through croc-infested waters to get to a temple, though. Our guides took us to a beautiful Buddhist temple where hundreds of people would gather later to give offerings, as it our excursion coincided with Full Moon Night. A monk tied a piece of string around our wrists and blessed it; our guide explained that we would have the blessing's protection as long as the string remained on our wrists. For some reason, I was moved by this; suddenly, our journey to Sri Lanka felt meaningful. Important.

Continuing on, we did finally meet a crocodile: in the form of this female baby crocodile, which I refused to hold, but John seemed quite comfortable with. "She's quite placid!" he kept repeating, as he held her out to me. I gently poked at a thigh, and, upon realizing that she was much squishier than I'd expected her to be - freaked out. I have no idea why that bothered me, but it just did. 


See those fish, below? They also serve the purpose of providing fish pedicures (or "massages", as they were named by the guides). You sit on the edge, roll up your pant legs, and let the fish work their magic on your calluses and corns. YEAH, NO THANKS. I let John take the hit on that one too. He was squeamish at first, then decided that it was "slightly addictive". Not convinced.

The River House's sister resort, Shinagawa Beach, is a mere tuk-tuk ride away (provided by the hotel) and was a great place to spend some time on the beach (not to mention its equally gorgeous pool).


We dozed off in the sun and read in the shade. I nearly lost my Michael Kors sunglasses when a wave knocked me over, but some kind Sri Lankan soul saved them for me (I also wonder if he was the same "Nahil" who left his number - no joke - in my sun lounger).


It's strange: when I look back at these photographs while writing this post, they look unreal. The palm tree trunks look fake, and the sand/sea/clouds background looks like it could be a flat, 2D painting used for, say, a movie set. The sun looks a little too bright. A little too artificial. It's hard to remember that it was real. And you don't, until you feel the heat on your skin. That sticky, suffocating, humid heat, with an occasional breeze from the ocean.

On our final night at The River House, John and I watched the sun set from our suite, and I cried. I cried because I had such a good time, because I hadn't expected to have such a good time, and because it was all coming to an end - I basically acted like a child being pulled away from the party too early.

One of the lovely butlers suggested bringing our dinner to enjoy on our balcony, instead of eating downstairs in the outdoor seating area, and when he dimmed the lights outside, we saw a beautiful frangipani blossoms artfully arranged around the table, with a candle as the centerpiece. My heart swelled.

We ate while listening to the crickets and bullfrogs speak to each other, as fireflies blinked their way across our line of vision. And after we finished, we watched one more DVD from the sumptuous, beautiful bed, fell asleep, and woke up the morning to pack our things.


Although I loved the beaches of Thalpe and the colonial charm of Galle, it was The River House that stole my heart and made me fall in love with Sri Lanka. There was so much to discover: to do, to see, to taste. I felt like Alice falling quicker and quicker through that rabbit hole ... transported to a strange land where everything felt new.

Where I felt new.

And that's why, I think, we travel: to feel new again.
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. I've stayed in a few places that I've been scared of staying and been bitten to death by mosquitoes but it really is worth it...those places are just so beautiful. I feel the same about some of my photos, how can the sky be that blue, the beach so beautiful, was I really only just there? Actually I cried at the end of our holiday too - this post could have almost been written by me.

    I loved this post, my fave of yours :)
    Lots of love,
    Angie

    SilverSpoon London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Angie. Reading your posts and seeing your gorgeous photos from your trip, it's no wonder you cried when you had to leave - it looked wonderful! xo

      Delete
  2. This is exactly what I love about traveling. It opens your mind and soul to new things and makes you grow as a person. It's so cool. What made you decide to go to Sri Lanka? I never would have guessed it to be a great holiday spot but I've heard from a number of people recently that it's wonderful there.

    V
    Life+1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, V! Totally agreed. On Sri Lanka ... my husband and I do one big "beach" holiday each year (Thailand and Vietnam in past years), and we also wanted a bit of culture and good food, so we opted for Sri Lanka as a few of our friends had been and loved it. It really has everything: beaches, history, culture, amazing food, and gorgeous scenery.

      Thanks so much again for reading, commenting, and sharing! xo

      Delete
  3. This is SO beautiful! I'm not surprised you cried leaving this place, it's stunning! Have to admit I cried when we left Sri Lanka as well, it's such a wonderful country.

    Also almost crying (with laughter) at someone leaving their number in your sun lounger!!

    Lauren xx
    The Lifestyle Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that I'm not the only one as a crier!

      Re: the number ... I know. Not-so-subtle. :)

      Delete
  4. My favourite post of yours ever. Beautiful Jaime :-) Totes emosh.

    Polly xx
    Follow Your Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Polly. Totally totes emosh. :) xxx

      Delete
  5. this post made me giggle because i remember having funny experiences like that when i was in india ("the crocodiles in the water love american girls!"), it made my heart twinge with sadness because i so long for a trip like that, it made me smile because i know that you so deserved a trip like that, and it made me tear up because i know exactly what you mean. travel changes us, and opens up our souls. thanks for sharing your beautiful and real moments. now, how can we re-create this in 4 weeks?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your photo of the baby crocodile! What an idyllic spot. We got more wildlife than we bargained for on a trip to Tanzania including a rogue elephant but it was amazing

    Suze | LuxuryColumnist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly idyllic, Suze! I'm sure that seeing wildlife in Tanzania was a highlight and a truly memorable experience.

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness, this place literally looks like heaven on earth. I actually had to stop and stare at the water every time I scrolled past a pool or beach photograph - I didn't realise water could be so clear and blue!

    "I gently poked at a thigh" made me laugh - I don't think I'd have been up for handling a crocodile either (or the fish pedicure!).

    I can see why you cried when you had to leave - this sounds like a trip of a lifetime (that term is brandished about way too easily these days, but The River House really does look like it's earned the title).

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, Charlene! John and I were just trying - so desperately - to remember how it felt to actually *be there*. I kept saying that I wished I'd walked around the grounds more. Or sat on that balcony more. Or just ... had more time there in general.

      Haha ... the crocodile really freaked me out, for some reason! I didn't think I'd be squeamish, but I totally was. x

      Delete
  8. What a stunning place - perfect for a break from the concrete jungle that is London! (I'm with you on the Croc handling ewww!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The total opposite of the concrete jungle, Emma! I totally should have used that in my post ... i.e. concrete jungle vs real jungle! I'd much prefer a jungle of palm trees and ferns though, that's for sure. :)

      Delete

© angloyankophile

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig